Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Music Lady

Just over 7 months ago, Charlie was wheeled into surgery to receive an ICD. He had been in and out of the hospital for several months... this last visit included nearly 3 weeks in an intesive care unit. For over a year, I had gone to sleep each night secretly terrified he'd drift away before morning.

While he was in surgery, a friend came by and took the kids to the gift shop to give me a little quiet time. It was during that time, hiding out in an empty waiting room, that a hospital volunteer came pushing a snack cart and singing songs from the 1940's. She lifted my heart in a way only music can and I haven't forgotten.

Tonight, I sat next to her at open mic. When they announced her turn, it clicked. MARY: The Music Lady from Trident hospital! I realized why she seemed so familiar (really, those tunics the volunteers wear makes everyone look the same) and all the emotion came rushing back.

When it was my turn, I told about the day I met Mary, thanked her while trying to keep my composure and dedicated my song to her.

Afterwards, we chatted a bit. She told me about her Youtube channel and I told her how I had watched several videos after meeting her because they helped me get through such a rough time. She went out to her car and came back with a paperback.

A few years ago her seniors group decided everyone should write down their memiors while they still had the ability. Mary published hers... a love story about the man to whom she was married for 57 years. Without giving her age, I will mention her Love passed away 10 years ago.

She asked my name, wrote a dedication and gave me her book to read and share with Charlie. A life long love story about two post WWII kids from South Carolina.

I'll fall asleep reading Loves Remembered tonight... but am reminded again... sometimes people come into your life for a moment and they can touch you in a way you did not expect. Mary helped me find the strength not to fall apart while waiting for Charlie in surgery... tonight, I had the privlege of telling others of the gift she gave without knowing how deeply it would be appreciated.

Sometimes full circle is a beautiful path.