Tuesday, January 21, 2014

To relearn for next week.

This one acapella and another as a duet with a guitarist friend whose been nagging me to show up for 2 years now.

I am Nothing

by: Ginny Owens

I could travel over oceans
Cross the deserts
Climb the mountains
Just to share Your story
Bring You glory
Win souls to you

I could sing like an angel
Songs so humble and so thankful
Full of drama and emotion
So the world will know Your truth
I could give away my money
And my clothes and my food
To restore those people
Who are poor
And lost and down and out

Oh I could succeed at all these things
Find favor with peasants and kings
But if I do not love
I am nothing

I could live a flawless life
Never cheat or steal or lie
And always speak so kindly
Smile so warmly
And go about doing good

I could dedicate myself to do
What everyone else wants me to
Listen to them
Compliment them
Say the things I should

I could show up every Sunday
Lead the choir and bible study
And they all might come to know me
As a leader and a friend

Oh I could achieve success on earth
But success cannot define my worth
And all these actions
All these works
They will not matter in the end

'Cuz songs will fade to silence
Stories they will cease
The dust will settle
Covering all my selfless deeds

So as I strive to serve You
Won't you make it clear to me
That if I do not love
I am nothing

For if I cannot live my life
Loving my brother then
How can I love the One
Who lived His life for me

Sent to earth from heaven
Humble Servant Holy King
Come to share a story
Get no glory
Save my searching soul

You knew that I'd deny You
Crucify You
But nothing could stop You
From living for me
Dying for me
So that I would know

That songs will fade to silence
Stories they will cease
The dust will settle
Covering all my selfless deeds
By Your life You have made it clear enough
For me to see
That if I do not love
I am nothing I am nothing

This song has been sort of my personal anthem. This is, behind the snark and sarcasm, is the person I want to be remembered as... Someone who loves... not for the reward of loving but because it's who I am.

Also need to relearn this one. Walls

Some walls are made of stone
sometimes we build our own
some walls stand for years
and some wash away with tears

Some walls are lined with gold where
some hearts stay safe and cold
some walls are made from doubt
holding in and keeping out

If there's any hope for love at all...
some walls must fall
If there's any hope for love at all...
some walls must fall

Some walls are built on pride
some keep the child inside
some walls are built in fear that
love let go will disappear

If there's any hope for love at all...
some walls must fall
If there's any hope for love at all...
some walls must fall

How will you ever know what might be found
until you let the walls come tumbling down

If there's any hope for love at all...
some walls must fall
If there's any hope for love at all...
some walls must fall

As usual, art imitates life. Seems the music comes when I personally need it the most.