Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Just How Integrated is Integrated?

Feel free to take the title in a tongue in cheek manner. I know I'm integrated. I also know I have a basic lack of self-control in certain areas. Baby anything (except, maybe spiders) is one of those weak spots.

In the last few weeks we have acquired a kitten, dozens of tadpoles, a small fish (which will be released at summer's end) and 2 yellow eared slider turtle hatchlings.

In addition to the animals intentionally brought home, We've watched a clutch of 4 house wrens hatch in the back yard. I'm taking a picture a day so we can watch their growth. Today, I found a clutch of anole lizard eggs while repotting a plant. They are now in a pot of their own so we can watch them. When I realized I had accidentally killed one, I kinda lost it and the frantic search for the others ensued.

Before the lizards, the kids and I were cleaning out the back shed. Daniel went to move a box and a rat jumped out. We've known there was a rat in the shed for some time. Coincidentally, it showed up within a week or so of one of our female fancy rats disappearing into thin air. Fantasy and hope tell me she is that rat.

Inside the box she was using as her latest nest, we found 7 babies. They are between 3 and 6 days old... Just getting the shadow of dark fur but their eyes are not yet open.

Wild rats tend to react to humans around their babies in 1 of 2 ways. They abandon the nest or they eat the babies.

From what I can tell, she's not coming back.

And being the person I am, (batshit insane about animals)the idea of leaving these little ones to die or become a food source makes my heart feel it's being ripped from my chest.

What this means is, Charlie is at the grocery store buying the needed supplies so I can spend the next week or so feeding babies every 2-3 hours. My biggest comfort in this is that Charlie is as bad as I am and will be more than willing to help.

The reason I bring up integration is because the whole baby animal issue is very much a Little Crew thing. They are why we started raising tadpoles and why my garden was a butterfly sanctuary for so many years. The mere presence of baby animals sends my brain into squealy, bouncy overload and all reason vanishes. This is why I try to avoid pet stores and other places where small furry animals are sold.

I was talking to Becka about the rattie babies and started to cry because as ridiculous as it is, I cannot help the drive that refuses to allow me to leave them be and let nature take its course. I'd lose sleep and end up in a depression if I didn't at least make the effort.

I don't know if that makes me a softie, a lunatic or just an over grown kid... but whatever.

I am who I am and Thank God my family knows and accepts it.

BABY RATTIES!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!